If the engine runs perfectly fine with the jumper wire connected, then yes. I too would suspect a faulty ignition switch that is heating up and then opening the contact. Or perhaps a faulty primary circuit in the cars ignition coil, doing the same thing, heating up and opening a circuit.
Running 12+v directly to the coil can be dangerous if it is not an internally resisted model. You need to verify if the cars wiring utilizes an external resistor or one in the coil.
For the price of a coil for one of these, if you don't know its age. I would just replace it.
Do you have any way to check the factory wires voltage upon shut down of where you are connecting the jumper lead too?
Monday, April 14th, 2014 AT 9:45 AM