1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Car cuts off while driving

REBEKAH MCKINNEY
  • 1972 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS
After the car has been driven for twenty or thirty minutes, the engine will shut off while you are driving. Frequently happens when coming to a stop or making a turn that requires you to slow down, but also happens while driving without slowing or stopping. Of course, when it shuts off, the power steering and breaks do as well. It will start up pretty easily, but dies when you try to put it into drive or reverse until it has totally cooled off. The "hot" light works, but is not coming on at the times it stops. Thinking it was a carburetor problem, we have replaced it twice. It runs great though until it dies. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
Sunday, April 13th, 2014 AT 3:24 PM

Check the fuel pressure and also when it dies don't wait for nothing check for spark-let me know
Sunday, April 13th, 2014 AT 3:40 PM
REBEKAH MCKINNEY
In the meantime, we ran a 12V wire from the battery to the distributer and it did not turn off. Thinking it may need a new ignition switch, unless there's a loose connection somewhere. Any thoughts on that?
Sunday, April 13th, 2014 AT 4:10 PM
DISTRIBUTOR?

YOU MEAN TO THE COIL?

THIS IS POINTS. OR ELECTRONIC IGNITION?

HAVE YOU CRANKED IT UP, THEN METHODICALLY, GENTLY SHOOK ALL OF THE WIRING YOU CAN GET TO TO SEE IF IT DIES?

Sunday, April 13th, 2014 AT 6:00 PM
Could be the ignition switch
Sunday, April 13th, 2014 AT 7:16 PM
J_HOLUBEK
If the engine runs perfectly fine with the jumper wire connected, then yes. I too would suspect a faulty ignition switch that is heating up and then opening the contact. Or perhaps a faulty primary circuit in the cars ignition coil, doing the same thing, heating up and opening a circuit.

Running 12+v directly to the coil can be dangerous if it is not an internally resisted model. You need to verify if the cars wiring utilizes an external resistor or one in the coil.

For the price of a coil for one of these, if you don't know its age. I would just replace it.

Do you have any way to check the factory wires voltage upon shut down of where you are connecting the jumper lead too?
Monday, April 14th, 2014 AT 9:45 AM
If you have an internal resistor build- in the coil-go for it
Monday, April 14th, 2014 AT 11:35 AM