Problems starting my car

ILEOD
  • 1972 FORD MUSTANG
My '72 mustang only starts when it's cold. After driving it for a while and I turn it off, it will not start up again. After a long while waiting for it to cool, it starts right up. I replaced the coil, thinking it was my issue but it still gives me problems at start up. What can it be?
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 6:53 AM

Check the choke plate opening adjustment

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 7:00 AM
Does your coil have an internal resistor?

In 39 years time, could it be that a "ballast resistor" or a resistance wire has been removed or replaced with a "regular-ole-wire" and now your coil is operating on full battery/ alternator voltage. Constantly?

I have some homemade pics and can explain more in that Good-ole-Country Boy lingo, if you want more on this subject!

The Medic
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 2:47 PM