I was wondering if a valve not opening would cause smoke to blow out of my exhaust?

DAVE FOSTER
  • 1968 CHEVROLET CAMARO

The motor is rebuilt and I drove it a few times (short distances) with no problems, but when I took it for a long drive, the smoke blowing out of my tailpipes was so bad I couldn't see behind me, the more I accelerated, the worse the smoke got. I can't do a compression check due to the headers being in the way. I drained the oil (no water) and drained the radiator (no oil). I started to think it may be a head gasket, so I started to dis-assemble the engine. When I took off the drivers side valve cover, I noticed the second rocker (roller rockers) in from the front of the motor was so loose I could turn it by hand, and the allen screw was resting on the head. I continued to take it apart and found nothing wrong with the cylinders. The engine is still in the car so I can't take off the oil pan to check for a broken ring. Could that be my problem?

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 9:33 PM

Go to this link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/excessive-smoke-coming-from-the-exhaust-pipe

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 9:58 PM