1967 Ford Mustang Starter

CHRISTYMICHELLE1
  • 1967 FORD MUSTANG
I'm working on fixing up my 1967 mustang, and all of a sudden, it won't try to turn over when I turn the key. I can jump it from the solenoid (which I just replaced) but it won't do anything when I turn the key. Also, the fuel pump has been working great, and now all of a sudden all I see is a trickle going through the inline filter, so even when I get it it to start from the solenoid, it won't idle. There are electrical issues inside the car (none of the lights work) and also, turn signal on front passenger side on both the hood and the front of the car won't work. Could there be a short causing not only the lights, but now the starter to not work, or is that 2 separate issues? And if it's not related, do I need to replace the starter and fuel pump?
Thursday, October 8th, 2015 AT 8:54 AM

Check to see if power is going through ignition switch to relay first it should go to one of the small wires on relay if not it may be a neutral switch. Fuel pumps can go out like yours, however check to see if there is no blockage in fuel line. Take a small gas can and run hose to inlet side of pump then try pumping into jar that will tell you if pump Is good or not. Some of the ignition switches would burn up behind them and ford used to sell a kit to just replace that part but I think you need round pins. I still have them in my tool box lol. As far as interior lights check your door switches they usually rotted out and wires fell off. The turn signal can be a bad bulb as well as shorted wire or t/s switch.
Thursday, October 8th, 2015 AT 9:32 AM
CHRISTYMICHELLE1
Thank you! I got it running by tightening the nuts on the solenoid and tapping the fuel pump of few times. For some reason now, the turn signal lights on the hood have now flip-flopped on which side is working. Guess I have some loose connections somewhere!
Friday, October 9th, 2015 AT 8:45 AM
They may be wired wrong if they are doing that. Should be green white wire to LH side and blue/white wire to RH side for turn signals. It will be that color wire all the way back to turn signal switch. Also check ground on both which is black wire. The ground can be connected to body/bumper or near the battery
Friday, October 9th, 2015 AT 9:40 AM
CHRISTYMICHELLE1
Before I received your answer, I popped the bulb out and hit the contact end with a little WD-40, and now it's working just fine. I have a feeling I have a lot of corrosion in electric. I'm trying to get the bulb out of the front passenger-side turn signal to see if it needs to be replaced, but it won't budge.
Friday, October 9th, 2015 AT 9:58 AM
To get that out break the bulb with pliers, take needle nose pliers and bend base so pliers will grab it then twist to take out normally. Clean base with a round wire brush then use dielectric compound when putting new bulb in it's at auto parts stores. Also if socket is shot you can get new guts for it at auto parts as well.
Friday, October 9th, 2015 AT 10:09 AM