Car will not start

FRANCISCOJRANDRADE
  • 1963 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Hello, my 63 chevy impala will not start. I have had all wiring harnesses replaced with new ones by profesionals, my starter, alternator and battery are all new. A few weeks ago I took the car to a shop that found the problem was the battery was no good so I had it replaced and that took care of the problem for a couple of weeks, and then it drained again. Ive been dealing with this problem for the longest time now and has cost me lots of money, im baffled and dont have any clue, please help.
Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 2:00 AM

MHPAUTOS
You will have to do a current drain test, place an Amp meter between battery Pos (+) and the battery cable, check current flow with ignition off and doors closed, if you have a modern stereo ther will be a very small current draw for the memory so pull this fuse and check drew, it should be zero if you have no clock or amp, if there is a draw, start pulling fuses one at a time to find the faulty circuit, also disconect the alt, and the regulator if seperate as well as both are potential places for current draw, start here.

-1
Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 11:11 AM
KERRGARN
I have had the same problem with my '63 Impala. I was wondering if batteries these days didn't have as much "juice" as they did back then because my headlights have always been really dim, even after getting a new battery. I was also wondering if the clock alone would drain the battery after a week or two.
+1
Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 AT 4:24 AM
FRANCISCOJRANDRADE
That makes two of us kerrgarn. I actually figured out that the problem for my car dying was the trunk light was staying on after closing the trunk. But before and since my damn generator light blinks on and off, and the head lamps might as well not be on at all because they to get really dim, especially when I accelerate the lights seem to dim lower.
+1
Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 AT 6:35 AM
MHPAUTOS
Battery's are still 12V but the number of plates per cell and the internal construction do contribute to the live span of ther battery, if you get 3 years these day on a standard lead/avid battery you are doing very well, and for the light problem, I would ensure that the alternator charge rate is ok, all connections are clean and tight at the battery and the light loom plugs.

+1
Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 AT 8:08 AM