15 mins to replace a blend door actuator

TERRIE YOUNG
  • 1999 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
I read your page that you can change out the blend door actuator in 15 mins (it will probably take a little more time). Can this be applied to my car? Passenger side is blowing hot and the driver side is blowing cold. A friend of mine said it would take more like 5 hours.
Friday, March 24th, 2017 AT 4:40 PM

STEVE W.
OK as your issue is that the drivers side is not responding properly you are in luck. The drivers side blend door motor is located right behind the glove box and is not difficult to change. Disconnect the battery negative terminal. Remove the glove box, remove the trim panel under the dash. Then remove the electrical connector on the actuator and then the 2 screws. Remove the actuator. Install the new one. Replace the wiring and covers. Reconnect the battery cable. Turn the heater temp controls to full hot and start the engine. The system will run a calibration and you should be able to tell if the actuator was the issue.

Book time says 0.3 hours, or about 20 minutes which is about right.
Saturday, March 25th, 2017 AT 2:19 AM
TERRIE YOUNG
Hi Steve, when I turn on the A/C, the driver's side is fine, it blows cold, it's the passenger side that blows hot that is the issue.I was told that the blend door actuator is located behind the airbag on this model and it would take 5 hrs. Of work. I'm going to try Freon first to see if that is the problem but when the last mechanic looked at it, he removed the door as it was broken off the actuator so I am thinking the blend door actuator in total will need to be replace. I was told that they would have to go in under the dash and pretty much remove it all. So, am I being told the truth or can this be done in an hour or so, just wanted to clarify. Thanks.
Sunday, March 26th, 2017 AT 9:43 AM
STEVE W.
OK you are looking for cold. With it being winter I figured the opposite and you were looking for heat. You must be out in the southwest. In my area AC is not even on the radar yet.

In that case it is not a 20 minute job. The dash has to come out, the AC system has to be disconnected, the heater core drained and disconnected as well. Then you can remove the entire heater case. The actuator for the passenger side is on the back of the case.

Adding R134A will do nothing. Both sides use the same heater core and AC evaporator. The doors inside the case determine if you get cold or hot air by directing the air through the appropriate path. As you have cold air at the drivers side the AC is working good, just isn't being directed to the passenger side.

If one of the blend doors was removed it is even more work as the case has to be split to replace the door. While it is out and split I would probably replace the heater core and the evaporator, they are 18 years old and probably getting thin in spots.

If it was me and I was thinking of doing the repair myself, I would be very tempted to visit a you-pull-it yard and get a complete replacement heater case assembly from an identical vehicle. This would give you a practice run for your own vehicle. Test everything on it. Replace the heater core and the evaporator and make sure all is OK. Then tear apart the car you have, you could then save some time as you would remove the one you have and install the "new" one.

If you take it to a shop you will get it returned faster but it will be expensive. Your call on that. One advantage of a shop is that if they do the job and the dash rattles or the system does not work right, they will repair it.

Good luck
+2
Sunday, March 26th, 2017 AT 12:24 PM
TERRIE YOUNG
Hey Steve, just wanted to let you know that the Freon worked and it blows very cold out of driver's and passenger side a/c. Thank you for your input.
Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 AT 10:30 AM
STEVE W.
Strange, The unit uses the same core for both sides, shouldn't have changed it. But if it works and you have cold air then good job.
Here's hoping it stays that way. I'm still waiting for AC weather here. It was a whole 42 degrees today !
Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 AT 4:52 PM
TERRIE YOUNG
Thank you. It will probably the 90's here in Las Vegas next week, so you are lucky.I'm still going to replace the blend door actuator, heater core and evaporator as you are correct, my car is in great shape visually but old! Take care!
Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 AT 8:54 AM
KEN
Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
+1
Friday, March 31st, 2017 AT 1:46 PM