WILL A GF PERFORMANCE CHIP BE ENOUGH TO INCREASE MY ABILITY TO PULL A CAMPER THAT WAS OTHERWISE TO HEAVY

2001 Chevrolet Blazer • 150,000 miles

I recently purchased a 24 ft camper to pull behind my blazer. While pulling it the blazer got hot, almost to the point of overheating. Hooked up to the computer it says that it got to 250 degrees. Since then I equipped the blazer with a transmission cooler and was told that would only bring it down about 20 degrees or so, still to hot for long distant trips. Side note: When blazer reached this temp the air condition was running. With out air condition it still ran warmer than normal but not that high.
RichardsBlazer

SORTA WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

HOW OLD IS MR. RADIATOR?

WHAT ABOUT A NEW RADIATOR WITH MORE "ROWS"?

HOW MANY ROWS DO YOU HAVE NOW?

BUY NUTHIN' YET!

I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH YOUR COOLING SYSTEM. AS I DEAL MAINLY WITH PRE-COMPUTER SIMPLISTIC VEHICLES. MAINLY JEEP CJs

ARE YOUR FAN(S) OPERATING AS THEY SHOULD (ELECTRIC OR MECHANICAL)?

I FORGOT TO MENTION

IF MR. RADIATOR IS ORIGINAL ......HE MAY HAVE 12 YEARS OF BARNACLES GROWING WITHIN HIS VANES

FLUSHING ONE YOURSELF GENERALLY IS A WASTE OF TIME.....IF YOU CAN GET IT PROFESSIONALLY FLUSHED, THAT WILL COST YOU AT LEAST $50 ???.....AND YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME OLE RADIATOR, DETERIORATING WITH TIME!

EVEN IF YOU CANNOT FIND A MULTI-ROW RADIATOR, A NEW ONE MIGHT BE IN ORDER

I USE AN INEXPENSIVE INFRA-RED THERMOMETER TO SEE HOW MY WATER IS COOLED AS IT TRAVELS DOWN MY RADIATOR..........IT'S REALLY COOL TO SHOW SOMEONE "BEFORE" AND "AFTER" RESULTS OF CHANGING THEIR RADIATOR WITH THE LITTLE GUN....SEE LINK BELOW

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Infrared-thermometer/_/N-26lq?itemIdentifier=951642_0_0_

YOUR TURN

I live in Green Camp Ohio. That is in Central Ohio, As for my radiator it is only about 2 or 3 months old. I haven't got a clue how many rows there are and I believe it has an electric fan. I'm pretty sure that it is not belt driven. I recently had the radiator flushed professionally because it overheated sitting at a stoplight. It was so bad they had to flush it twice and told me to return a week later for a third flushing. Two weeks later the radiator(the original one I'm assuming) cracked. So I had to replace it. Since then I have done every thing I can think of to increase horsepower. Tune Up, Oil Change, and Transmission Cooler.

Thanks for your response.
RichardsBlazer

RichardsBlazer
THIS IS WHAT I'M COMING UP WITH

IN 2001 THE HEAVIEST BLAZER I COULD FIND WEIGHS ABOUT 5000 LBS

I HAVE NOT HEARD HOW MUCH YOUR TRAILER WEIGHS. LIKE WITH ALL OF YOUR STUFF IN IT!

WITHOUT YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL AND UNABLE TO FIND SPECS IN "MITCHELL I", I SEARCHED HITHER AND YON FOR THE CAPABILITY OF YOUR RIG. MEANING, YOU CAN'T JUST KEEP PILING STUFF ON, IT HAS IT'S BREAKING POINT AND ALSO SAFETY ISSUES ENTER IN

. LIKE SAFE BRAKING AND SAFE STEERING

I OVERLOADED A TRAILER AND PULLED IT WITH MY '77 CJ 5. ONCE IT BEGAN THE LEFT AND RIGHT SWAYING AT 50 MPH. IT JUST GOT WORSE AND WORSE. SPEEDING UP, NOR BRAKING MADE IT BETTER.

. UPON ME TAKING UP BOTH LANES (MINE AND ONCOMING) AND PERFORMING VIOLENT YANKS ON THE STEERING WHEEL TO KEEP IT 'TWINXT' THE DITCHES. ON TWO WHEELS, ALTERNATING SIDES, MOST OF THE TIME. THIS LASTED ABOUT 30 SECONDS. WE WERE GONNA DIE. THEN SUDDENLY, IT STOPPED, IT WAS FINE!

MY SEAT COVER HAD TO BE PRIED OUT OF MY REAR, AND MY BUDDY LEFT PERMANENT FINGER HOLDS IN MY DASH'S ALUMINIUM GRAB BAR!

I DROVE 15 MPH THE REST OF THE 10 MILE TRIP

. SO, I FOUND THAT MOST OF THE PLACES THAT I LOOKED, SAID 5000 LBS WAS THE UPPER LIMIT FOR TOWING WITH A MAX TONGUE WEIGHT OF 500 LBS

. EVEN THE SOME OF THE HITCHES THEMSELVES WERE RATED 1000 LBS LESS THAN THAT

NOT TRYING TO MAKE YOU MAD OR NUTHIN', BUT IT "MAY" SOUND LIKE YOU ARE ASKING A LITTLE MUCH OUT OF THE 'LIL BLAZER (RATHER, MAYBE YOU ARE "ON" OR "OVER" THE EDGE OF IT'S CAPABILITIES). UNLESS MR. TRAILER IS LIGHTER THAN I'M SPECULATING

. ANYBODY SUGGESTED "BIGGER TRUCK" TO YOU?