WHAT CAN I DO TO INCREASE THE GAS MILEAGE FOR A F150 HARLEY DAVIDSON EDITION 4WD

2006 Ford F-150 • 73,000 miles

I want to increase the gas mileage on this truck, and I have heard that I should add a cold intake filter and / or a performance chip to help increase gas mileage. What do you recommend one or both parts? Also what type and brand would be best suited for this truck? Thanks
Hkydad

For decades the engineers have added "stoves" or air heaters around the exhaust manifolds to get the air warmed up so the fuel would vaporize better. That was done for better mileage. Liquid fuel doesn't burn. It just goes out the tail pipe, wasted. Why do you want to go back to that? The idea of cooling the air is to make it more dense so more can get packed into the cylinders. Your engine uses a mass air flow sensor. The weight of the air is measured by that and used to calculate fuel metering. With more air you'll get more fuel, and presumably more power. I get more air and more power by pressing the accelerator pedal further.

I have a friend with multiple Dodge trucks, all with chips, but those are all diesels. The increase in power is amazing, but on his first one he was pulling a three-car hauler and promptly tore up the transmission. When you have the power, you search for any possible need to pass people when necessary! Fuel mileage did increase too but be aware that if you have a Traveler Computer that shows your fuel mileage, it will read a few miles per gallon higher than what you're really getting. He has used different brands of these chips. His latest project was turning a 2011 Dodge Mega Cab with a six foot box into an eight foot model by extending the frame two feet. The chip he used has a small screen with touch buttons to select various options, and it has to have the software downloaded into it. No internet connection was needed for that. It was actually real easy to do by just following the screen prompts, but the unit took about 15 minutes to do its thing. It appears to be working but the truck isn't painted yet and hasn't been on the road yet. He's waiting for the custom drive shaft to be finished.

His last project was a 2006 dually diesel with a six-speed transmission. The chip on that one has a screen to view engine data, but just a few options you can select. I had a ride years ago in a Viper. This truck feels the same as far as acceleration. He recently pulled a grossly-overloaded 32' goose neck trailer from Texas to Wisconsin with an estimated 38,000 pound load. That finally loaded him down so much, 55 mph was the best he could do. The trailer split one wheel and broke all the lug nut studs for one pair of wheels, but the truck held up! Later he found all my new wiring to the trailer brakes had been crushed because the trailer was bottomed out on the springs. Did I mention it was a little overloaded?

Thanks Cardiodoc. Your knowledge is a bit overwhelming to me as I am just a guy with little to no mechanical skills trying to figure out any way to effectively increase this trucks gas mileage without having to break the bank. I am not pulling or towing anything. The truck already has plenty of power for what I will use it for, but I am hoping you as an expert can help.

Hkydad
Yes, I have a lot of people fooled. I've never actually owned a pickup truck so all my information comes from my friend with a body / repair shop and a former coworker. I think there's less complication with the chips for gas engines because all they can mess with are a few sensor voltages. My understanding is they used to trick the Engine Computer into thinking more fuel was needed, as in colder weather, and that provided more power. If you read the ads for the newer models, you should find they have different settings or selections for improved fuel economy too. Be aware that raw fuel helps to cool the valve heads and running lean too long can result in burned valves. Diesels are different because they're wide open to air all the time. Varying the mixture, (reducing the fuel, actually), is how engine speed is controlled so they are expected to be very lean at times. With gas engines you need to maintain the proper mixture all the time. While running lean can increase fuel mileage, it results in incomplete combustion so emissions will go up. My eyes glaze over when we start talking about four and five-gas analyzers related to emissions testing. If you live in an area that requires periodic emissions tests, the mechanics around there will be a better resource to find out what works and what doesn't

Don't overlook the "reviews" section found on many web sites that sell various products. You can learn what other people think of the chip you're considering.