HOW TO CLEAN INTERLOCKING SHIFT MECHANISM

1999 Volvo XC70

Interior problem
1999 Volvo XC70 All Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I think a latte of something must have gotten into my console, because when the weather is cold of humid the interlock shift mech sticks and I have to wiggle it to getmy key out of the ignition. I want to get in there and clean it with Electrical contact cleaner (spray) but I don't know how to get in there and service it.
Mojacoby

You may actually have a bad gear selector knob? The button you depress to move it out of park sometimes binds up because it cracks inside. Next time you have problems removing the key, check to see that the button popped back out. If the button is still pressed in, pry it back out and the key will now release. If this is the case, replace the knob. Good luck and let me know what you find?

JIS001
IF THE SHIFTER BUTTON IS STUCK IN PUSHED POSITION, TAP ON THE TOP OF THE SHIFTER, SOMETIMES WITH A LITTLE FORCE, THE SHIFTER BUTTON SHOULD RELEASE AND RELEASE THE IGNITION KEY.

VOLVO SERVICE ADV