HARD TO SHIFT

1996 Volvo Wagon

1996 Volvo Wagon 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 69000 miles

After starting the engine we sometimes have to press the shift override button to shift into gear. Before the car shifts into gear the All Tracs arrow is lit on the display. And sometimes the turn signal does not work. If I restart the car it might work just fine. This is erractic and not consistent at all. It usually happens to my 16 year old son learning to drive.
Tulls

Seems like you may have several problems? When you need to use the shift overide while stepping on the brakes, have someone verify that the brake lights come on. If they dont then the brake light switch is faulty. If they do come on then you could have a bad microswitch. As for the flashing arrow, that means there is a fault code stored in the transmission control module. It may or may not be related to your gear shift problem? You either need to take it in to the dealership for proper diagnosis or take it in to a transmission specialist to see if they can retrieve the codes to diagnose it? Now what do you mean with the turn signal not working? Is it for signalling left or right or both dont flash at all? Do the hazard lights work? Also what model is this?

JIS001