STARTS, IDLES FOR 3 SECONDS, THEN DIES

2000 Volvo S80

2000 Volvo S80 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 77000 miles

Hello!

I noticed recently that my 2000 Volvo S80 was starting to sputter as I came to stops (at stop signs, etc.), Almost as if the idle was set too low. Then today it suddenly stopped as I was coming to a stop. It will start up, idle for 2-3 seconds, then it dies. If I rev the gas while it is in Park up to 6-7000 and quickly throw it into Drive, I can go for about 1 minute but only if I'm absolutely cranking the gas and driving at about 3-4 rpm. Ive got it safely parked at my house now, and I'm wondering if there is anything I can try at home before having it towed to a shop? Should I replace the battery? I must admit I'm a major novice so anything outside of a basic repair may neeed a trip to the mechanic anyway, but I figured I should ask. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks so much, -bob
Nolabob