TRANSMISSION ERROR LIGHT WILL NOT CLEAR.

2000 Volvo S70

2000 Volvo S70 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 137, 00 miles

I have a 2000 S70 GLT with over 100,000 miles on it. I had the transmission rebuild about two years ago at a Volvo dealer.

Over the past few months the check engine light has been illuminating occasionally with a variety of transmission codes:
-P1618-Fault in lead between AW 50-52 and Monotronic 4.3 (MIL Requested)
-P0740-Torque Converter Clutch Solenoic Circuit

The engine and ttransmission have been running fine throughout this period.

It is time for the vehicle's inspection and now the codes cannot be cleared. It seems to me that I may have a problem with the transmission computer module. I was thinking about sourcing a used computer to replace the existing unit.

Does anyone know whether a used computer will work in this application? I am concerned about the cost if I take it into a dealer. Money is very tight for me right now.

Is there an estimate for the cost of brand new transmission computer and reprograming?
CrazyVOLVOrob

You need to have it diagnosed first to see if the module s bad or not? This code you have is usually from an internal fault in the transmission. But like I mentioned before take it in to a shop for proper dinosing. Also have you felt the transmission slip at all? If you have how is the level? If low then maybe that is why the code is posting. Going to attach the code description.

The transmission control module (TCM) calculates the ratio between the torque converter input speed (engine speed RPM) and the transmission speed after the torque converter. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) TCM-002F is stored if the control module registers a deviation of more than 100 rpm between these two values for approximately 12 seconds despite lock-up being activated.

Substitute Value

No lock-up function.
Possible Source

Contact resistance in terminals.
Mechanical fault in the transmission.
Fault Symptom[s]

General orange warning lamp lit.
Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) lit.
No lock-up function.
Harsh gear shifting.
HINT: Harsh shifting - may be caused by disabled adjustment of gear slippage times at high altitude (High Altitude Compensation).

As you see by the description, the code could be set by slippage as one of the problems and if you are low enough on fluid it can cause some slippage and posting the code. Now to reset the code you need to clear the code in both the engine control module and transmission control module. A generic scanner will not clear the TCM.

JIS001
The transmission never shifts harshly is buttersmoth going into gear even when shifting at higher RPMs. My current sho who does all my work have been over the tranmission plenty of times the one issue for them and me is they can not clear out code on my Transmission computer WHICH they believed the dealership who rebuilt my transmission/ put in a new transmission didn't clear out as the transmission does not act up at all like it did before it was replace.

The transmission doesn't slip at all. I have driven cars where the transmission has slipped and I know what that feel like.

And I know I can't completely clear out the code if my reader or my shops reader could I wouldn't be having these issues

CrazyVOLVOrob
Try setting off another transmission code and see if that clears. If it does not clear then the module is bad. If it does clear then the shop needs to look at the transmission wiring harness and connectors for any damage or corrossion.

JIS001