CHARGING SYSTEM

2000 Volvo S70

2000 Volvo S70 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 123600 miles

My car would die and not start. I put a new alternator on it and it ran for a few hours and died. I put a new battery in it and it ran for a day and then it died and will not crank. The alternator is putting out 13.5 amps of charging but the new battery is still not charging up and my vehicle will die after it runs the battery down again. There is something wrong with the charging system. How do I check it. My car is a 5 cylinder volvo
Saltcrawl

Hi Saltcrawl,

Seems the alternator is charging but the charge is not getting to the battery.

You mentioned the alternator is producing 13.5 volts, did you test it at alternator or battery? Was the battery charging rate same as alternator main terminal?

If both are different, you have an open connection between battery and alternator. Check the wire connections from battery to starter and to alternator for open connections.

If alternator charging rate drops after driving, check for faulty cranshaft pulley.