CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1998 Volvo S70

1998 Volvo S70 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 145, 00 miles

My 1998 Volvo S70 has a check engine light. I had it checked at Advance Auto. The read out said it was a problem with the " secondary air injection system". I am a pretty good mechanic and do my own auto maintenance most of the time. I have no idea what they mean by " secondary air injection system" for this car. The owners manual says check engine light means a problem with the emission system. Do I have a bad oxygen sensor and this is just strange lingo from the Swedes?
Mikegray

Hi there,

If you can give me the code, I will see if I can identify what it is. But Volvo's are a beast unto them selvs. I will see what I can find.

Mhpautos
This is more than likely code: P0410 Secondary air injection system.

Your car has an electric air pump located under the battery tray, a check valve located at the back of the engine on the exhaust manifold and a control valve on the radiator fan shroud/radiator support.

At predetermined times, the fuel ECU will activate this system to add air to the exhaust (usually to aid in heating up the catalytic converter). It will run for less than 2 minutes. The problem is that the check valve is prone to sticking and allowing exhaust gasses to back feed through the hose to the air pump; it usually ruins the pump in short order. Anyhow, the solenoid control valve is also prone to failure as are the vacuum line elbows that connect the solenoid valve and check valve. Inspect each item for damage, you can jump the pump relay to see if the pump is operable (they usually start to scream before failure).

They usual suspect is the check valve on the exhaust rail (about $120 at dealer or less at some other suppliers)

MikeSW