TRANSMISSION NOT SHIFTING

1988 Volvo 745

1988 Volvo 745 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 255355 miles

Went to the mechanic today. He checked the Trans shifting. Traced and replaced the kick down. Cable was sticking. Repaired overdrive relay. Used 4 qts of Trans fluid ATF.

The parts store couldn't supply the Transmission Fluid Kit in time, so he said he " rinsed the filter" and " Glued" it on. He couldn't tell me why the trans fluid was WAY over the Max line and THICK.

I'm freaking out that I just dropped $479 and I didn't even get a new Trans fiter kit.

Q: Is rinsing the filter ok and will " the glue" hold up?
Did I get ripped off (Kick Down Cable $82.30 & $10 overdrive relay listed as shop supplies)?
Should it have taken 4 hrs of labor to do this?

Its running better, but if I got ripped off I won't go back to this shop. Does this sound like the right DX along with not knowing why the trans fluid was thick and way over the max line?

Also, what size winter tires should I buy for my 740 Wagon and should I get studs?

Thank you. I've looked through all the 740 questions and can't find this answer.

Ann
Otowwa

Hello and thanks for donating

First off, when was the last time the transmission fluid was serviced? It could have been that whoever replaced the fluid last used the wrong type of fluid and overfilled it as well. If the filter is a metal type filter than it can indeed be washed with solvent and reused. The price for the parts seem average and it does take approx. 3 labor hours to replace the kickdown cable alone, another 45 minutes to 1 hour for the relay. Seems as though the repair shop you have chosen is very reputable so you should set your mind to ease with that. As for the tires you will want to stay with the tire size that is recommended by the dealer, which should be on a label in one of the door jambs. Studded and/or chained tires are illegal in my state so I have never used them.

Bluelightnin6
Hello and thank you for your quick reply,

I had the Trans Fluid flushed by machine 12/05 by my mechanic of seven years. Car sat for two years (9/08-6/10). Two months after running up again shift problem and found trans fluid " frothy" and way over mark. I've had the car for eight years now.

I went to the first mech and he leaked 4 qts and put in 4qts. Shift a bit better at lower speeds but still problem at high speeds. Next stop was a mechanic who said RPM of 25OO at 60mph was normal. I still felt major major resistance at 60mph and new something was still wrong. The third mechanic I made a visti to (the one in the question) checked trans stick, pulled the cable, and told me to take it for a ride as he just did after pulling the cable. It felt like it always did at lower gears, but still resisting at 60 to go to 70 and it was at 2500 rpm. WE took it for test drive and he said rpms normal and will use less gas. That it was too high at 3000 rpm at 70mph.

Then he went to work and traced and replaced kick down, overdrive relay, replaced 4qts of trans, and glued rinsed filter w/o using new kit. Now it " feels" heavy and thick when I drive it and it changes gears a bit harshly. He did say it had a filter. I need to find my manual. I couldn't find the info on line to whether or not there was a " filter" in 88 740 wagon (745).

I did believe this guy was knowledgable, but I've been burn't before by triple price gouge and needed confirmation.

What do you think about the original trans fluid froth issue/gears and the filter issue and glue after this explanation? Should I take it somewhere to replace the kit now?

Thank you! I will make more donations in the future!

Otowwa
Have you noticed your radiator coolant leaking any at all? It's very possible that the transmission cooler has an internal leak and the coolant is mixing into the transmission fluid.

Bluelightnin6