SRS WARNING LIGHT

1996 Volvo 740

1996 Volvo 740 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 93,000 miles

Our warning light for the air bag remained on, to the point where a Volvo dealer suggested the air bag could deploy unless we had it disconnected. I'm expecting this would amount to yet another ridiculously expensive Volvo repair job. Do we have any other option without putting ourselves and our daughter who drives the car at risk? Thanks for any advice!
Rohara

This response is not to doubt your word or integrity but you state the dealer suggested you remove the airbag or disconnect it? That is what I would call EXTREME liability on their part and I recommend against taking that advice. I work with a fellow who is a Volvo Guy and will see if I can find any information that might assist you and will repost as soon as possible. By the way a warning lamp should indicate the presence of a fault such as a seat belt buckle switch or even an airbag that was disconnected while the key was on or an internal SRS module issue of some sort, generally speaking, an airbag should only deploy if there is an incident (such as a collision) Manufacturers go to great lengths to avoid law suits from false airbag deployments or deployment failures. While I cannot recommend a course of action here, you may wish to call Volvo North America and see what their position on this very sensitive subject is.

Dr. Hagerty