SO MANY NOISES!

Volvo 240

I have a 1985 Volvo 240 sedan with 331,500 miles on it (yes, she is quite the trooper). Recently while the car is on, there is a tinny sounding noise coming from the muffler. It gets worse when I am driving or braking, and lessens when I am in park. A friend of mine who has a 240 says it might just be a loose muffler.

I have a small hole in one of the pipes from my muffler which is causing (or I hope this is what's causing it) my car to sound like a motorcycle when I accelerate.

Also when I go up steep hills, my car makes sort of a chugging noise, like it might not make it up the hill.

Any ideas? I know I need an oil change (I'm about 3000 miles overdue, but I don't think that's the reason for all the problems). Thanks!
Xjennersonx

Hi there,

It's a bit tricky working out some of these questions from afar, but my best first thought is that a baffle has given way inside the muffler and may be chocking of the exhaust. With the exhaust COLD reach under the car and give it a good thump with your hand, if you hear a rattle noise then replace the muffler, also it's not a good idea to drive around with a faulty exhaust as the fumes can be drawn into the car and that can be fatal.

Mhpautos