'89 WON'T START

1989 Volvo 240

1989 Volvo 240 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 206k miles

First off I know near to nil about cars so my story may be without much terminology. One day after work I go to start my car which does not do so, naturally without any previous starting problems. My mechanic is very good and is a master of fixing this model Volvo. The starter goes, fan turns, and I assume pistons are ago--but it still will not start.
My mechanic tried everything he can think of, he has never seen this happen before. I don't know everything that he replaced, but I know that he replaced wiring to transmission(and possibly elsewhere), replaced the computer, and checked to see if all of the other electrical devices are working, which they in fact are.
My car has other minor electrical issues such as: inactive cabin light, and overdrive fuse blowing when rear defrost is activated, as well as radio fuse blowing when cigarette lighter is activated(but I know both of these fuses combine these functions).
The only other thing I have read about this is that the fuel pump might have failed. Could this be? Let me know, I am sad. Thank you.
Dwainweary