CATALYTIC CONVERTER PROBLEMS I THINK....

1987 Volvo 240

Noises problem
1987 Volvo 240 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 220000 miles

hi,
i was driving one day, noticed that I heard a pounding noise like only when I pressed the gas. At first I thought maybe its the temp sensor or the fuel filter, but it was replaced recently. The following day, I went over a pothole then all of a sudden I started to slow down quite a bit with no power going uphill especially. I decided to go get an oil change and have them check it out as well. They showed me the problem was at the catalytic converter pipe where it came apart. Apparently the muffler was fitted n not welded which some come that way. So. I had the pipe near the catalytic converter area welded. Within 20 minutes after getting off the freeway stopping at a red light, I noticed a wierd noise that sounded like a popping sound near the area of the converter that was worked on. I panic not knowing so I tried almost anything to make it stop thinking it might explode or what I dont know. It did stop only if I put it on park or reverse or neutral or turning it off altogether. I brought it back to the shop in which they said its the catalytic converter that is bad. I dont get it. How can that be, because nothing was wrong with it before the pipe came off.
can anyone suggest to me what I should do? Now the shop says $300 to replace the converter n labor.
Jchan765130