NOT STARTING IN MORNINGS

1997 Volkswagen Van

1997 Volkswagen Van Two Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

i have a transporter van it wont start in the mornings I have to push and jump start it the battery is fully charged, the alternator is working fine, could it be the glow plugs. Once its up and running it starts no problem im lost any advice would be grateful.
thank you

michael
Michael9

Your question confuses me, do you have a gasoline diesel? I will assume it a diesel because you referred " glow plugs" yes burned-out glow plugs would cause hard starting or no starting at all
You turn the key on, and you look at the Glow plug light on your dash, ( if the light does not come on that indicate that you have a burned-out glow plugs) if the vehicle does not start, first thing you do is check the fuse on the glow plug relay, if the fuse is good get a test light and check power at the main power wire if you have power there, ( and it will only have power when the key is turned on) if you have the power to the relay and the fuse is good, removes the big plug from the relay, (and be very careful that you did not break anything) the big plug is the glow plugs wired into the relay separately, take your test light and hooked it to the + (positive) side of the battery, NOT the -- (negative) side, then with your test light check the big plug each glow plug, if the light turns on the glow plug is good, if the light does not turn on the glow plug is burned out, the plug is number one through five and it will indicate which glow plug is burned out, it only takes one glow plug burned-out to make it hard to start.

Dr Loot