ENGINE IGNITION

1985 Volkswagen Van

1985 Volkswagen Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 80000 miles

the van died than started after a few minutes four time in a row? Then would not start at all? I checked for spark and there was none, the next day when I got more time to check there was spark and when I tried to stat if it started up fine began to miss and died, it would not start again and there was once again no spark? The coil and ignition box is getting power, I have wiggled and cleaned the connection but that did not help? Any ideas?
Riege6969

The ignition spark is controlled by the computer, if you have a problem inside the distributor, you will overheat the computer and it will shut down and give you no spark until it cools down and you have spark again, keep doing that and you're going to burn up the computer it can only take so much abuse, my advice to you is remove the distributor and replace the coil pickup inside and any other components and check your wiring make sure it's not grounding out against the housing.

Dr Loot