STARTING PROBLEM...

2002 Volkswagen Passat

2002 Volkswagen Passat 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 121, 00 miles

My 02 passat will not start. YOu turn the key and only the dash lights will come on. There is a clicking sound when the key is turned. But nothing else. A Volkswagen mechanic told me that it sounded like I needed a new battery. So I went and bought one. Well that didn't work. So they told me to try and tap the starter, well in an 02 Passat its hard to reach. HELP! I don't know if maybe its my anit-theft or what, but I drove it to the store and it was just fine. And when I came out my car wouldn't start. So I was just wondering what else could I try? And if it is the anit theft how do I go about fixing it? Thank you!
Andreacrawshaw

I have a 2002 passat and had trouble starting for a while. Sometimes I would have to turn the key 2-3 times before it would start. Then one day nothing. I thought it was the battery and replaced it and still nothing. Then I began to look at my positive battery cable. The discharge from the battery had eaten away the cable and it was badly frayed. I couldn't believe it when I changed it. I found a used one at a junk yard for a fraction of the price. Just another thing to consider that doesn't cost money.

Java1956