ABS MODULATOR PUMP

2000 Volkswagen Passat

Brakes problem
2000 Volkswagen Passat 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

I have a ABS light on dash with a flashing brake light. As well, there is a message on info display screen running constantly w/ message of Stop. Brake Fault. Service Manual. Repeating.

Brakes work fine when driving and there is very adequate pad life remaining on all four wheels.

My question is regarding installing a replacement ABS Modulator Pump. The VW recycler whom I know and trust found a replacement on E-Bay Motors that is the correct match for my Passat. He indicated that replacing this ABS MOdule would require some bleeding of brakes as well as replacement. When I went to my auto repair shop I mentioned what the recycler had said regarding the need to bleed brakes as part of ABS replacement and the mechanic siad this was not true. It is in fact four bolts/screws holding it in place he said and he said the VW recycler either lied to me or did not know what he was talking about.

So, who am I to believe? And, what is the correct procedure to replace this ABS Modulator Pump.

By the way, my OBD II scanner pulled a code of P-1113 which I could not find in my book of codes. I assume it is VW specific. Is it the code idicating fault in the ABS Brake system?

Also, the VW recycler did hook up his VW scanner to help me diagnose the need for a replacement ABS Module. He said 90% of the time this is the componet that fails.

Engine is the 1.8 Turbo and car has 140000 miles and runs great.

Thanks in advance for your help and I am happy to donate for your expertise in the matterl. Steve
Sfrye

Hello.. thanks for the donation .. much appreciated

Hope this helps !

P1113/VAG17521 ....Bank 1, sensor 1 internal resistance too high....Check oxygen sensor heater for Oxygen Sensor (O2S) before Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC)

Control module and hydraulic unit removing and installing
Special tools and equipment
VAG 1331 torque wrench
VAG 1869/2 brake pedal loading device

The hydraulic unit and control module are not available as individual items. If found to be faulty, the hydraulic unit and control module should always be removed together.
Location:
The control module is bolted to the hydraulic unit and is located on the left side, in the engine compartment.
CAUTION:Do not bend the brake lines in the area of the hydraulic unit!

Removing:
Vehicles equipped with coded radio, note or request radio code if necessary.
Disconnect battery.
Release control module connector and pull off.
Connect bleeder bottle hose to left-front brake caliper bleed screw and open bleed screw.
Install brake pedal loading device from VAS 5234
Depress brake pedal with brake pedal depressor.
Close left-front bleeder screw.
Place lint-free cloths under the control module and hydraulic unit.
Disconnect brake lines on the hydraulic unit.
Seal brake lines and threaded holes with plugs from repair kit Part No. 1H0 698 311 A.
Remove hex nuts on hydraulic unit bracket -arrows-.
Remove hydraulic unit.

Installing:
NOTE:Remove sealing plugs on new hydraulic unit when the corresponding brake line is going to be connected.
If the sealing plugs are removed too early, brake fluid can escape, and can no longer be guaranteed that the unit is filled or bled.

Installation is the reverse of Removal
Bleeding brake system. See BLEEDING BRAKE SYSTEM .
Enter radio code.
Code control module
See Code control module using VAS 5051 via "Guided fault finding" function.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_779.png

Dave H