GOLF TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT

Volkswagen Other

Hi everyone, '97 Golf, original owner, 85,000 miles, well maintained. We will be taking a 4,000 trip next month so I'll be having everything checked out before we go. I've just got new tires and brakes and the clutch is good. My concern is the timing belt. VW doesn't seem to have an opinion on maintenance for the belt. Is there a way to check the condition of the belt? Should I just have a new one installed? Any idea of cost for this (will have to go to dealer or very good mechanic to have done)? The car runs perfectly and has been one of my most trouble-free VWs ever.
Thanks for your time.
Phil
Philm97golf

At 85 k I would have it replaced. Dealer or trusted tech, the choice is yours. Be sure the tech(non dealer) uses OEM parts

Jack42
It is strange that VW doesn't give you the info on belt changes. Every manual and VW here says 60,000 miles it is changed regardless what it looks like.
It is a lo cost item $26. Oo here(not from VW) and half hour of work.
A broken belt means a motor job.

Friedemann