ENGINE VIBRATION ABOVE 3 1/2 RPM

Volkswagen Other

I have a 1999 A4 body style Volswagen Jetta. It has approx. 140,000 miles. It is on its second timing belt.

Last week, I noticed a loud chirping noise that was coming from the belt area when the engine was cold.

A local VW specialist told me it was the timning belt tensioner and that it needed replacing, so I had this done.

But now, whenever I go above 3000 1/2 RPM - either under hard acceleration in 3rd, 4th or in 5th on the freeway - I get a hard vibration from the engine - that seems tio dissipate when I go above 4000 rpm.

I took it back and the mechanic spent days with it, several mechanics didn't know what to do. They said they tightened the tension and now it should vibrate unless I hit 5000 rpm (which I probably wouldn't ever do) - they said it may always vibrate.

But I stress that this NEVER happened until they changed the tensioner! They have offered to change the tensioner again - is this is what's really wrong? They said that my previously bad tensioner might have been masking some other problem but how could this be the case? Is my timing belt off, is the tensioner unbalanced? Also, has this new tensioner caused damage to and bent the valves? Is this even a possibility?

Really annoying that I have to go back and get this taken care of. I feel like I should have just paid the extra $400 and gone to the dealership.

Thanks anyone for any input.
Holden76

If that engine has a balance shaft it could be the problem

Jack42