MODELS ENGINE CUTS OUT

1992 Volkswagen Other

1992 Other Volkswagen Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 49000 miles

Hi,
For the first time in about 3 years of driving this car (VW Polo, 1.3) the engine decided to cut out after I had driven c. 40 miles. The car has never given this problem on its usual 15 mile journeys. When it had " rested" for 10 minutes it started again and was OK for a few miles before cutting out again. In all, it stopped 6 or 7 times on the 150-mile round trip. The engine wasn't overheating and the fault didn't seem to be electrical. It was as if the fuel wasn't getting to the carb, but with a mechanical fuel pump, you wouldn't think it would have restarted after resting. I had a similar problem with a very early Polo I drove many years ago; I never found the cause, but it seemed to be worse in the autumn (fall), though this may just be a coincidence. This car I'm driving now has been absolutely reliable and never given the least trouble since I had it. I'd hate to have to get rid of it if this is a simple problem, so ireally would appreciate some advice from anyone who has had a similar experience with this model
SimonScientist