COOLING SYSTEM PROBLEM CAN FIGURE IT

2000 Volkswagen Jetta

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Ok I have a 2000 Jetta 4cyl non turbo, I have recently had the water pump replaced on the car and thats about it when it comes to the cooling system. Since then the car has been over heating quite often and in weird conditions I have driven it over 100 miles at an average of 75 to 85 mph on the freeway and had no problems with over heating, I have also let it idol for about 1/2 hour in the drive way and the car just got warmed up and didnt over heat, just ate gas. The only time the car over heats in when it is in continuous traffic at speeds below 35mph maybe 45 and under for a time of about 1/2 hour to an hour or more never more than 1 1/2 hours at that speed. Does anyone know what type of problem this could be. It doesnt just over heat it also leaks water to the point that after it has been in that traffic it would take about a gallon or more to refil the reserve tank for the radiator. At the faster speeds and the idol it didnt leak one drop before during or after the test. Only when in traffic the fans did turn on during the idol test and where turning on when driving at least when I stopped to check. The other thing is that there is coolant located on the driver side of the block located on one of the cooling baffles for the transmission so like a lil scoop thing that could collect something there is coolant there and when it has been leaking water people have said to see water coming from both sides of the block. If anyone could help me that would be great thank you.
Acarreon