CAR DOESN'T ROLL THE WAY IT USED TO + D

2002 Volkswagen GTI

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2002 Volkswagen GTI 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 77000 miles

About a month ago, I suddely noticed one day that my car didn't feel like it rolls as freely as it used to when in neutral or with the clutch pedal depressed. There are areas in my neighborhood where there are very gentle slopes, where I know that it used to start rolling when I took my foot off the brake, but now it does not. When getting the car moving from a standstill on a level surface or on an uphill slope, it feels like I have to give it more gas and let the clutch slip more than I used to. It almost feels as if the wheels themselves just don't want to turn as freely as they should. This holds true regardless of whether it's an uphill or downhill slope. Also, it's not pulling to one side as far as I can tell.

I wasn't sure whether this was all in my head, but recently I went on a long drive which enabled me to measure gas mileage more easily, and whereas I normally get about 31 mpg on the highway, on this trip I got 27-28. So it's not a huge difference, and maybe not one a person who wasn't familiar with the feel of the car would notice, but I think something is going on and I don't want the engine to be working harder than it needs to.
Arcite