UNREPAIRABLE ELECTRICAL DAMAGE?

2005 Volkswagen GLI

2005 Volkswagen GLI 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60,000 miles

I'm am active Army currently deployed to Iraq, so I am getting all of this information through a third party (my mother). I haven't actually spoken with the mechanic who looked at my car, but here it is?

My car has been at my mother's house while I have been deployed, about six months now. When she went to start it up one day to let it run she noticed that it was not getting any electricity whatsoever. After have AAA check the battery I asked her to take it to a small, but reliable shop. That's when I got the devastating news. Apparently there has been a leak in my car for some time, though it wasn't apparent where. I suspect the sunroof. The mechanic said that so much water had leaked into my car, not sure where exactly, that the entire electrical system was ruined beyond repair. A repair would require replacing the entire system and would cost 10K+.

Now, I can see that if my car had been submerged in a flood, easily, but from a leak? I just have a hard time believing that a leak could destroy the entire system. Is this possible? If it is possible, how likely is it?

There has to be a more narrow point of failure right?
Da0908