CABRIO SIDE WINDER ON THE LOOSE

2000 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Steering problem
2000 Volkswagen Cabrio 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hello. I just bought a 2000 VW Cabrio a week ago and not sure of what the trouble is. It is a clean car so I thought it was worth it to purchase.

The Cabrio tends to shift sideways at reaching a speed of 40 mph or when I do a kick down to accelerate at higher speeds. It needs new tires especially on the front, so I realize there might be some trouble here. However, when it shifts sideways, it is consistent; does it every time. I thought it might be tie rods, but wouldn't it wander at any speed? Any ideas?
4wheeldriver

With it pulling to the side there could be other things wrong with it. Have the front end checked and the cv joints. When you let off the gas does it straighten out? If so look at the cv joint on that side.

M_H_RITZEL
Thanks M J for the tip. I had the steering control arm and the 2 front tires replaced. I had the rear tires balanced when replacing the front tires. This helped tremendously. Most of the vibration and noise are gone. Because I am on a tight budget, I have to space out the repairs. The 2 rear tires also need to be replaced. Hopefully this will correct the balance of the vibration problems. Its expensive having others do the work. Not sure if I want to get into that any more. I've been away from it for so long and my home is not setup for repairs any more. Thanks again.

4wheeldriver