CABRIO ENGINE OPERATION

1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet

1988 Volkswagen Cabrio 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 45,000 miles

I got this Cabriolet and the prior owner had cut some of the wiring in the engine compartment. I have a manual but am still having difficulty correcting the electrical problems. The engine runs rich and seems to stop running after the engine gets hot. I believe it is a temperature issue where the engine gets too hot and " vapor locks"? In the front of the engine there is a thermostat sensor with 2 wires. One of the wires is cut. So I don't see how it can work. I put a sensor in so that I could have a WORKING THERMOSTAT. Also the oil pressure sensor seems to be irregular. Somtimes it reads halfway, sometimes it pegs out. I check the fluids regularly and they are all correct.
Any thoughts or help? Photos and wiring diagrams (that a normal person can understand) would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ray
Ray_pilot