ACCELERATION

2001 Volkswagen Beetle

2001 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 89650 miles

Just bought this car for my kid. Had timing belt and water pump changed, O2 sensor, oil, spark plugs, everything to the factory 40k mile upgrades stated in the manual. It is a GLX Turbo model with a 1.8L engine. Started it up today with my kid, warmed it up a bit and then put a little pressure on the gas pedal to show how quick it could be and as I wasy shifting to second gear, a whining sound that matched the speed of the tachometer started. As the RPMS went higher, so did the whining sound in pitch (higher). I could still shift the car but the power to move the car quickly when shifting simply was drastically reduced. The car would not respond quickly at all, almost like some belt had broken. Still, I was able to shift to get up enough speed but very sluggishly. No engine light on nor dripping fluids that I could tell.
What is the problem?

Thanks for your help.
Windgrp