STRANGE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WITH A NE

1999 Volkswagen Beetle

1999 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl 100k+ miles

Hi,

I am having issues with a new beetle. The car just stopped starting a few days ago. No prior issues to speak of. It wouldn't turn over. My instinct was to jump it, so I did. Nothing. Just a click click click when the key was turned.

So I thought maybe the battery was so dead the a jump wouldn't help. I pulled the battery (no small feat in this make and model) and took to my local auto parts store. It had a full charge.

I put the battery back in after cleaning the terminals, just in case. Still nothing.

My girl friend was in car the turning the key. She pointed out that when the car door opened there were " funny sounds". So I sat in the car and sure enough when the door is opened you can hear clicking, like the clicking of the turn signal or any other electrical switch. Only rapidly cycling and it sounds like several of these firing, not just one. Oh and while no lights go on in the dash the gauges jump ever so slightly.

Something is very wrong with the electrical system. Suggestions on next steps?

Thanks!
Zoophagous

Hi
At the battery bracket/fuse box check those fuses with a test light.
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
Sorry for the delayed response.

The fuses are good.

Zoophagous