MODELS ELECTRONIC IGNITION

1983 Vauxhall Other

1983 Other Vauxhall Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 75.000 miles

2.3 "slant" engine. Will start sometimes, runs about 5 minutes. cuts out, very weak spark detected at plugs. but very good spark every time

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/549253_003_1.jpg

when king lead is married to a plug lead. all parts new incl "dizzy" except hall trigger to modual cable.
HONINGTON

Ok I need to understand what your saying.

Vehicle runs 5 mins when it starts and cuts out and you have very weak spark. You seeing orange spark I assume?

But then you go and say but very good spark everytime. When does it have very good spark?

When it wont start whats the spark like.

And what are you asking about a king lead connected to the plug lead.

Blackop555
When the engine does start, which has only happened twice during many attempts. It only runs for a short period, after it stops, when cranking again only a very very small spark is detected when the lead is held close to the plug. However, when the king lead is detached from the distributor and married up direct to a plug lead a very good spark is sighted through a plastic adapter on the plug. The distributor is reconditioned, and was again re checked by the company who carried out the recon, it is new cap & rotor-arm. Clearly, the spark is reaching the cap but not being distibuted to the segments!

HONINGTON
P.S. Correction, only a small spark is being distributed.

HONINGTON
Perhaps the spark is too weak coming out of the coil and its not having enough to jump in the cap and properly jumping the gap on the spark plug. Have you already checked out the coil?

Next maybe the timing is off and when it does fire rotor is to far ahead of point on cap or moving away causing have the spark potential? To check this put #1 cylinder at the top of its compression stroke when it should fire the rotor should be lined up with the #1 tower for the cap.

Get back to me

and also what are you refering to as the king lead. A picture of it and the connector your holding it next to is a good help. If your refering to moving the wires I would be checking for a short possibly in the wire causing it to only have good continuity when held a certain direction

Blackop555
Hi, The lead from the coil to the dizzy is what we call " The King Lead". What I can tell you now, is that the modual which was purchased new for engine overhall has proved to be defective! The old one was refitted, would you believe it? The engine now works ok. Thank you for your involvement.

Graham Smith

HONINGTON
Wow. What a world we live in where we buy a brand new part and its defective. Dont make them like they used to. The old one proves this!

Glad to hear you have your problem fixed. And if you ever have any other future questions dont hesitate to post back a new topic.

Blackop555