PLEASE HELP

2005 Vauxhall Corsa

Engine Cooling problem
2005 Vauxhall Corsa 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

Hi, I have had trouble with my Vauxhall corsa 1.0ltr engine life model, over the last month or so, It started a while back when the water pump started to leak the heating went and then engine started to over heat. I got that replaced and a few weeks later my car broke down whilst on the motorway, it turns out it was the timing chain and camshaft, which also damaged 4 of the pistons in the engine, I got it back from a local garage, but it wasnt starting up properly at first it started ok but there was a little hessitation when turning it over, after a few days it really took a lot of effort to get it started having to get it to biting point to start it. I took it back in to the garage and he couldnt seem to find any problem with it, he changed the sparkplugs, fixed an oil leak and had the head gasket pressure tested which came back ok, when I got it back it started up fine at first but after a week or so the heat went from the heater and the air blew cold, it gets hot when travelling at 70 but cools down straight away when sitting in traffic. I checked the water the other day and it spluttered when I unscrewed the cap, the water was cold, this made me think of some sort of air lock, when I went to check it again this morning, the water tank was empty, so I filled it up and ran the engine for about 15mins but I could not see any leaks anywhere, when I got back in the afternoon, (i have not driven the car today) I checked the water and it was empty, I have checked the oil cap and it does have some gungy substance on it, the oil on the dipstick, is not gungy at all and is looking a normal dark colour, i'm sorry if any of this doesnt make sense as I am no way mechanically minded,

Thank-you for your help in advance
Kev.
KevinMooney

Start by having the cooling system flushed for blockages. Replace thermostat also

Dave H