HESITATES AND RUNS ROUGH

1995 Toyota Tercel

1995 Toyota Tercel 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

Hi,
My son has this tercel that he says when he goes to accelerate that it will act like it wants to die, but if he slowly adds gas it will go but slowly and finally it will run up to speed. When it's idling it runs rough, missing on a couple of cylinders we think. Autozone scoped it and said there were multiple misfires and his egr valve was bad, but it has been bad for years. My brother inlaw is a master toyota tech in PA and he thought it was the map sensor, I am told he replaced it but it still runs the same. The car and my son are in florida and I am in Virginia so this is hard to do. The plugs are fine and such, the fuel filter has been replaced. Any ideas? The thing is it just started running bad all of a sudden.
Bobsworld