TROUBLE SHOOTING EMISSIONS

1993 Toyota Tercel

1993 Toyota Tercel 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 164000 miles

I've been trying to get my Tercel to pass emissions for a few months. The first time I took it in it blew 5500 ppm for hydrocarbons, so I replace the cap and rotor, new wires, new spark plugs, new airfilter, new catylitic converter. I took it for a long drive and had it tested agian today and it is at 3000 ppm.
When I first got the car about three months ago it was idleing real rough, easpecialy under any kind of electrical load. I figured the timing was off and I adjust the distrubuter until the engine began to run smoothly, with out the use of a timing light. I immediatly noticed a big differance in how the car drove after that and have left the timing alone since then.
However with my recent issues I'm thinking its either the timing, or the O2 sensors. Given that my car runs better with the timing adjustment(even though it wasn't an exact adjustment by any means), I'm a bit reluctant to put it back what I" m guessing was factory settings, however if thats what it takes to pass emissions then so bit it. Any thoughts?
Valornor