SMELLS LIKE EITHER

1990 Toyota Tercel

Smells problem
1990 Toyota Tercel 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 160000 miles

Just recently and out of the blue the inside of the car started smelling like either or starting fluid, can someone please help me?
Jr2100

Hi there,

Does this happen when the A/C is first turned on and then clears up?

Mhpautos
No the car doesn't even have AC, it seems to happen when the car sits for several hours (ie. Over night). When I come out in the morning and open the door the smell is very strong, however after driving a awhile it either go's away or I just get use to it.

Thanks for the response

Jr2100
Hi there,

Are the carpets damp? Do you think it may be a mould smell, I am at a bit of a loss to think of anything with actually smelling it, nothing was spilt in the car? Can you smell it in the vents or just as you open the door?

Mhpautos
Actually some time back a window was left down and quite a bit of water got onto the floor board. Your probable right about the mold but I never would have thought it to smell like starter fluid. Do you how or what to do to get rid of it? Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

Jr2100
I would look at getting the carpets steamed/ dry cleaned, I would be getting the seats & the mats out as the under surface is probably sodden and stinking as well.

Mhpautos