CAR WON'T START, WON'T TURN OVER

1999 Toyota Rav4

1999 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 164000 miles

I recently replaced the battery and alternator on my Rav4. Unfortunately the vehicle won't start. It cranks, but won't catch. The instrument panel lights come on, but no headlights(although I get high beams), and no dome light, yet my power locks work. I'm confused. I may have done some damage when I connected the battery, because I connected it backwards and tried starting it several times before I realized the mistake I made. I popped the Alt fuse twice because of this. That's why I initially thought it was the alternator. Now I'm scared I did some serious damage. I need HELP desperately.
MrDanJK

Check and test the all the fusible links and miniature fuses if all okay -do below

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard