WON'T START

1999 Toyota Rav4

1999 Rav4, 166,000 miles, AWD, automatic.

The last time I drove my car was 2 days ago. It started up, but made a bit of a grumbling noise, then seemed fine. When I started to pull out onto the street, it wouldn't accelerate. It felt like it was trying to, but it was shaky, then it would kick in and go forward at normal speed, stuggle, go, struggle and then finally was fine and I was on my merry way. I had an hour and a half drive and made a stop in between, and never had a problem.

This morning, I was leaving for work and it wouldn't start at all. It would try to start but be all shaky and noisy. I tried giving it some gas, but it wouldn't catch and the engine light would come on and then the battery light. I caught a ride to work, but my car remains dead in front of my house. Should I try to jump it or just give in and have it towed to the mechanic? Would something as simple as a battery problem cause a problem like THAT? How about the alternator? Any ideas guys? I don't want to be too surprised when I take it in. I'd like to have some idea of what's wrong with it.

Thanks.
WildFlower16