LOWER MOTOR NOISE

1992 Toyota Paseo

1992 Toyota Paseo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 175000 miles

I have a 92' Toyota paseo. About a year ago I had some knockin n the motor. I took it to a body shop to get it checked out, they tried to tell me all the older forein cars had a knock to them esp the 4cyl. I told them they were full of it cause I have owned a couple and the noise that they r refering to is alot softer (think around the lifters). Anyway I drove it for about 3 more mos and the noise just kept gettin worse. It was a cheep car and was just gettin the gas mi out of it. Well now its just louder than ever aint really drove it a whole lot for prob 9 mos or so. Well now I want to try to fix it with out buyin a whole new motor. Sounds like a rod knockin but slower, lower and louder. The sun-of-a-gun has been settin all winter havent even touched it the other day I put the battery in it and it fired right up. Its a good little car so could u tell me if would be a waist of my time or maybe what u think is wrong with it? Thank u. -Kris
Mr_Winger