MODELS TIMING CHAIN INSTALL/ PROBLEM

1996 Toyota Other

1996 Other Toyota Models 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 250ooo miles

I rolled the motor over to get the keyway pointed down on the crankshaft to install the timing chain and align with the paint mark on the crank gear. Then I put the chain on the intake cam sprocket aligning the timing mark with the paint mark on the chain. So, all the marks align but the motor is NOT on TDC while the cams are. The cams on the head were installed aliging the timing marks level with the head surface. Theyre are on TDC in that position
How do I get the motor back on TDC like the cams are to have it all in time? Or am I already done. I believe the # 1piston is 180 out to install the timing chain. I started this with the engine on TDC. The timing pointer was pointing at the 0 mark/ TDC
I am working out of a Haynes manuel that covers this procedure but at this point don't understand how to procede
Bodaciuos

Hi bodaciuos,

You should align the paint mark to the dimpled point on both the crank and cam sprockets. Turning the crankshaft is to enable you to slot in the sprocket.