ABS BRAKES

2006 Toyota Matrix

Brakes problem
2006 Toyota Matrix 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 10000 miles

how do I know that abs brakes are working properly?
when braking on snow/ice streets, I feel the abs brakes kick on, the brake pedal pulsates and you hear a grinding sound, which means the abs brakes are working, but the car just keeps on skidding not stopping. What could this mean
Nojin

If the car is skidding while braking it means that there is snow or ice on the streets. That is normal in winter time. The abs pulsates/pumps the brakes to make sure that the brakes do not lock up the wheels and cause the car to loose traction with the ground. Abs releases the brakes when the wheels lock up, locked up wheels take longer for the car to stop. Don't worry, the abs brakes are working fine. For less skidding in winter you can only upgrade to studded winter tires. For stop on a dime in ice/snow the only sure thing that might work is an anchor you can throw from the car or maybe spikes that dig into the ground like on the BAtmobile.

Grsmnky