CAR ALARM AND DEAD BATTERY

2008 Toyota Highlander

2008 Toyota Highlander 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 35,000 miles

my car alarm has been intermittenly beeping at odd times for the last several months. Yesterday, when trying to open the car, the alarm went nuts, honking and wouldn't respond to the remote for a few minutes. Tried the other remote, with same results--no matter what you pressed it wouldn't quit for about 3 minutes or would not start. Called AAA and they came out and said it was a dead car battery (2 1/2 years old) and replaced the battery and it still honked till we tried the key ignition 3 times (had called toyota and they said 3 starts would reset the alarm). The honking quit and has done fine today.
question--how common is this? Should I take it in to the dealer and have it checked or is it ok now?
thanks.
Jerryjo