INSTALLED NEW COMPRESSOR-STILL NOT C

2001 Toyota Highlander

Air Conditioning problem
2001 Toyota Highlander 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I fjust had a new air conditioning compressor installed because the old one was wining. When I picked up the car the air coming out was not very cold so I bought a temperature probe and checked the temp. In the center vent. During a two hour period, the temp. Reached 45 degrees once and then it has not reached more than 75 tp 80 degrees with the outside temp. At 90 degrees. I took the car back to the mechanic and he said he put the correct amt. Of refrigerant in the car( 1 1/2 cans) and that the temp. Knob was not working which was causing the problem. The temp. Control knob has not been working for over 2 years and I have not had any cooling problems before now. I checked the low side coolant line and it was cool, but not cold and the high side one was hot. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Sboatcruise