TOYOTA COROLLA AXLE PROBLEM

1989 Toyota Corolla

Hey I got a toyota corolla 1989 and both my cvs on each side have broken now the car wont move at all but still starts and that I was woundering can cv joints cause that wen they get real bad cause it front wheel drive and if so what will be the estimate price it would cost to fix it thankz
Rickson

Yes your CV axles will keep your car from moving if they are broken, if they are just clicking when you turn then the car should still be drivable just annoying. Replacement axles are relatively innexpensive around 50-100 each. It is a rather envolved job. If you have a repair manual for your car and basic hand tools you can rent the required special tools from most auto parts stores. You will need a ball joint and tie rod separtator(known as a pickle fork). A large 1/2 breaker bar and a very large(30-35 mm axle socket to get the spindle nut off). The one safety note that I would like to tell you is to loosen the spindle nut prior to jacking the car up( it makes it easier to remove the nut, plus it prevents a major safety issue with removing the nut while the car is up on jack stands. READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN YOUR REPAIR MANUAL. Good luck and have fun working on your car.

Garfield