REAR DRUM BRAKE KNOCKING NOISE

2001 Toyota Corolla

Brakes problem
2001 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

I recently did my own rear brake job. I own a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE. The rear had drum/brake shoe combo. I replaced both the drum (Brembo brand) and brake shoe (OEM Toyota). I had bought these parts about 2 years ago and left them in the shed. When I opened the drums, there was surface rust on it. After replacing the rear brakes, I notice on the driver rear side when I step on the brake (from around 25-30 MPH), there is a knocking noise. It does not happen all the time, just sometimes. I've recheck both rear side side and made adjustments. The hand parking brake lever pulls up about 5 clicks to prevent the rear wheels from spinning. Now if I let go of the lever, the rear right wheel will spin freely. The left rear wheel will spin freely, but have some rough patches. I know I adjusted both sides brake shoes, pretty evenly. Can my " New" 2 year old drums be warped? Or is something else not done correctly on my part? I've done rear drum repairs on my own a few times in the past without any problems.
Sumac0401

Drums could be warped, have them checked at autoparts stores that turn drums.

Mmprince4000
Thanks mmprince4000. When I have some free time, I'm going to try and put back the old OEM Drums to see if that knocking noise is still there when I brake. If its gone, then the new Brembo drums are warped. If not, then not sure what I should do next. More adjusting?

Sumac0401
I purchased NEW drums for a 91 Corolla and they were BOTH warped and had to be turned.

If not warped re-adjust shoes.

Mmprince4000
It turns out the left rear drum was indeed warped. Had Sears auto center re-surface it and the banging noise and brake pulse was gone.

Sumac0401
Too bad you can't buy NEW parts and have them work?

Mmprince4000
Makes you wonder sometime how Brembo gets its stellar reputation. Thank you for all your help mmprince4000.

Sumac0401
Your welcome.

Mmprince4000