LEAKING WHEEL CYLINDER

2000 Toyota Corolla

Brakes problem
2000 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100386 miles

My wheel cylinders were leaking on my drum brakes so I went ahead and bought new ones. I installed them. Before installing the shoes, I tested them by pressing the brakes. After 2 or 3 pumps, the one on the passenger side popped out and leaked. I pushed the it back in and put on the old shoes just to test if it would leak again and it did. Is this repairable or do I have to replace it with another new one?
Ptalabis

Hi there,

you may have installed the cup back to front, bake sure the cylinder bore is clean, as is the cup (rubber seal) coat with rubber grease or brake fluid do not use oil or bearing grease. The cup fits in with the flared part first check you have not damaged the cup by installing wrong way. Start here.

Mhpautos
This was a new wheel cylinder so I'm not sure what you mean when you said that I may have installed the cups the wrong way. So I assume that you're saying that the wheel cylinder is still repairable, correct? If so, can I just take it apart (pull the left or right side off and take the spring out), clean it and put it back together? Do I need anything to do anything for the rubber seals? Thank you.

Ptalabis
When it popped out, do it come all the way out? If so you may have installed it back to front, as I said earlier clean and install the correct way, just make sure that the seal is not damaged ie that the lip is not cut or marked in any way. If the cup is installed correctly and is still leaking, get a new one, don't mess with suspect brakes.

Mhpautos