ENGINE WON'T START WITHOUT PRESSING ON

1996 Toyota Corolla

Other Category problem
1996 Toyota Corolla Engine Size unknown Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I bought this used Toyota Corolla a month ago and it runs fine. Then I brought it to a garage to change a light bulb in the temperature panel between the driver side and the passenger side. I have then driven it at a few different occasions that day and it ran well. The next morning(a snowy day temperature around -5) it won't start when I turned the key to start. My husband then started it by pressing down the brake paddle. He thinks it is a safety devise. But I was able to start the engine without pressing down the brake before and still able to do that from time to time now.

When I called the technician, he told me that it would be the starter or the alarm. He told me the wiring for the alarm is very messy inside and it's not from the factory.

I never use the alarm.

What would be the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Engine

The check engine light is it steady On or has flashed before? Might need major tune-up parts.

Okay here we go, Have the coolant temperature sensor and the idle air control valve tested and report back the outcome. I'll be standing by.