ENGINE IGNITION ADVANCE MISSING

1993 Toyota Corolla

1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

i have a toyota sprinter with 5afe engine that stopped, check and had no spark, replaced the distributor with another but the timing mark is 40deg atdc, so took out the dizzy retaining bolt and turned the dizzy around till it was on 10deg btdc, the bolt is no where near the slots to hold it in, and when I rev the engine there is no advance, it actually retards the spark (due to no advance) it just stays where it is set eg 10deg this is when te1 and e1 are shorter out and not shorted out) there are no codes in computer. I have tried 3 dizzys all exactly the same number as original one. I have tried 3 ecu's of the same number. All produce same results, needs dizzy to be advanced miles to run. Timing belt is spot on, harmonic balancer is correct. I set ignition timing at 10deg then turned off enginethen turned the crank to 10deg and took the dizzy cap off and the reluctor wheel is about half way from where it is supposed to be when triggering, ? How can it run there, I pulled the dizzy out and turned by hand and it fires the coil when reluctor wheel is just passing the pick up. Where is the advace? What can I try? So to recap tried 3 dizys and 3 ecus all from running cars. Still needs dizzy advance miles and still no advace when reving. (Btw coil and ignitor is in the dizzy and so is replaced with every dizzy)
Slowtoyota

The only thing I can think of is that the cam gear on the exhaust cam that drive the dist. Has a broken woodruff key.

Mmprince4000
No it is fine. the crank to cam to distributor timing is all spot on. if you take the plugs out and wind over by hand it fires at correct time, im going to check all the power inputs and earths on the computer today, will also check map sensor input and output signals.

It has a toyota ESA (electronic spark advance) system and only has a g1 sensor it the distributor, if this helps at all.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/527597_eas_2.jpg

Slowtoyota
If engine timing (mechanically) is good, then I would also check grounds, but something is screwy, if timing keeps changing.

I would remove both camshaft gears and check the keys.

Is lower timimg belt gear good?

Mmprince4000